Monday, November 10, 2008

I haven't been working much - I think I over did it for weeks of working 7am to 9:30 pm. Luckily, I have a job in which I can decide how much I want to work, and organize my time to how I want. Now with the shorter days and snow I want to stay home and do some catching up. I need to get our personal papers and files in order and get the house cleaned and organized once more.

As I write this, huge snowflakes are falling from the sky. I have already been out this morning with tarps to cover the remaining soffit and siding which need to be installed. I fear if the snow continues we won't be able to find them.

Husband is tired too. We rushed to finish the renovations on the old house which is now rented, pulled everything out of our new garage so that the concrete floor could be poured and now he is building the walls in the garage. There is still so much to be done at the new house/property. Last week a company came to measure the remaining siding and soffits that need to be completed. Husband said he is too tired to finish it - he would rather hire someone to do the rest.
Walls being built in the garage. The black box in the wall is the gun cabinet being framed in.

On Saturday we finally purchased a small freezer, and ordered a meat pack from the butcher. We also ordered an additional 10 organic free range chicken. Friday I will pick it all up and we will have our meat for the winter. Husband would normally go hunting for deer the third week of October, but the last 2 years he has been too busy with the new house and just can't take the time.

Yeah! Finally a freezer!

I managed to process the horseradish and got 6 1/2 jars (125 ml). The half jar is in the fridge and the rest is in the new freezer. I was surprised that it did not sting my eyes much, but I was careful to open two windows for a cross breeze and grated the roots (in the food processor) under the hoodfan. I then put the grated root in with the chopping blade, then let it sit for a few minutes before adding some salt and the vinegar. Once done I packed it into sterilized jars. I read that it loses flavour quickly and that is why its in the freezer.

On Sunday I started some sourdough. I have wanted to do this for years but it seems so intimidating. I'm not sure how it will turn out, and I will document it in a separate post. I also managed to make some yogurt, which I haven't made for some time. I seem to be the only one who eats it... but Daughter was saying "Yum, we haven't had yogurt for ages" So maybe she will eat some this time.

0 comments: