Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Christmas is Coming

I've begun on my Christmas baking. Only because I love a very rummy fruitcake and to achieve this I have to start it now.


Old World Fruit Cake (makes 2 loaves)


Cake
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp nutmeg
1 cup melted butter
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup cold black coffee
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups raisins
2 cups mixed fruit
2 cups whole blanched almonds
1/2 cup rum


Glaze
8 Tbsp butter
1 cup rum
1 cup sugar

  1. Mix the melted butter, eggs, rum and coffee together.
  2. Add brown sugar and mix well.
  3. Add rest of dry ingredients and place in a buttered loaf pan. (Line the bottom with parchment paper as I have had a problem with the bottom sticking)
  4. Bake at 300F or 150C for 2 hours or until done (it will separate from the sides of the pan)
  5. Make the glaze when almost completely baked. Melt butter and add rum and sugar. Stir by hand.
  6. Remove the cake from the oven and pan and pour half of the glaze over the loaf. Let it cool for 25 minutes and then turn over and pour the remaining glaze on the other side.
  7. When cool, wrap in parchment paper.
  8. Sprinkle a bit of rum on the loaves every few weeks if desired.


My parchment wrapped fruitcakes. I love the old fashioned look of them all wrapped up.

0 comments: