Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Plattdeutsch

Today I meant to give my father a gift.

At age 73, I am sure he was wondering what I was doing when I made him put on the pink headphones attached to my iPod. He had a puzzled expression on his face, but I would not tell him what he would be listening to... it would be a surprise.



I found the podcast I had chosen for him and put it on play. The funny expression turned into pure joy when he began to listen to stories in Plattdeutsch. The same Platt he grew up listening to his parents speak in Germany - it was even the same dialect from the same area of the country.

Today I meant to give my father a gift, but I think it was I one who received the gift instead. It was so wonderful seeing how happy I made him!

2 comments:

Mary said...

I have just read your entire blog. I will now be a reader and link to you from my blog. I love your blog and reading about your journey. keep it up!
i have some questions...but will ask them anotehr time, as I have now forgotten them!

Carpe Diem said...

Hi Mary, Thanks for stopping by. Hopefully our journey will help you in yours.