Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake


I purchased some strawberries while I was grocery shopping on Monday.  I was inspired by 1940's Experiment's Mock Cream recipe 2 which looked sooo good.

I baked the biscuits using a recipe from the latest Hobby Farm Home magazine and they turned out perfect!  Light and baked up nice and high, but best of all the dough was done in no time.  I used whipping cream instead of the mock cream.    Yum!

This is diet isn't it?

Classic Shortcake Biscuits

2c flour
1 T sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c butter
1 egg, beaten
2/3 c milk or cream

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Sift together dry ingredients.  Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Combine egg and milk; add all at once to flour mixture.  Stir just to moisten.  Lightly flour your hands and form dough into six biscuits.  Bake on ungreased baking sheet for 10 minutes until golden on top and firm to the touch.

2 comments:

Annie said...

That Strawberry Shortcake looks delisious! Wish I had some strawberries already growing in the garden.

Btw, I love the tool holder for your shed. I'll have to get the Gman to get on it and find one for me!

Carpe Diem said...

Oh Annie, trust me it was delicious! I'll be making the biscuit recipe again it was really good. Far superior to those icky little sponge cups you buy at the grocery store.