Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Husband was 'down south' on the weekend and brought home a present for me...




... a big box of rhubarb. Now, husband's favorite is Strawberry Rhubarb pie, so it makes me kind I'd wonder who the gift was really for.
















Filling for pie (enough for 2 large pies)
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c cornstarch
1 tsp cinnamon (or there abouts because I don't measure)
1/2 tsp nutmeg (as above)
8 c rhubarb cut into pieces
4 c slices strawberries
mix all together and fill pie shells and then top

Pie crust  (enough for 2 large pies and tops)
6 c flour
2 tsp salt
2 T sugar
Mix in a bowl

1.5 c water
1.5 c lard
Boil in a pan until lard is melted and stir vigorously into the flour mixture

Divide into balls and roll out.

Can't wait until I can bake these pies with our own strawberries and rhubarb!  Everything tastes so much better from the garden!

5 comments:

dr momi said...

I'm going to try it....looks great!

Jody said...

That pie looks delicious. My grandma used to grow rhubarb in her garden, God bless her; she died last week. She was born in 1917. She had 6 kids, 30 grand kids and 130 great grand kids. Thanks for the Rhubarb memory!

Carpe Diem said...

Jody - I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. Sounds like you have some good memories of her. I would have thought you would have rhubarb in your garden, but perhaps it does better in colder zones.

Dr. Momi - the pie was yummy! I really like this easy pie crust as it is rather wet and easy to work with.

Anonymous said...

I love rhubarb! That sounds yummy!
Barb

Annie said...

That pie looks delicious, I too can't wait to make pies from our own fruit. It shouldn't be long now!