Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Stock Up the Pantry

I went shopping to stock up our pantry. I'm lucky, as when we built the house we put in a special little room/closet to use as a pantry. I'm still waiting for Husband to put up 2 more shelves, but otherwise it is useable and pretty full.

When I got home Son helped me bring in the groceries and exclaimed "Mom, are you insane? Do you realise that we have 5 bags of flour?" Yes, of course I know that... flour has increased in price from $5.99 for a 10lb bag to $11.99 - and I remember seeing in one store that it was '1 bag per customer'.

So I'm all stocked up with necessities - flour, sugar, beans, rice, canned fruit and veggies, canned mushrooms, canned soups, peanut butter, canned fish, old fashioned oats, pasta, and the like.

The one thing I still have to store is water. We quickly found out that when the power goes off so does the well pump. Unfortunately, our tanks only hold so much. I have some large water bottles that will be filled in stored in the crawlspace (just in case).

Now, I'm really not a hoarder but I feel that one should be prepared in the event of an emergency. I haven't done it until now... the terrible hurricanes and earthquakes in other countries have shown how awful it is for those not ready. On top that Husband works with the Provincial Emergency program and I know that the world is far overdue for a pandemic.

2 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

Ah, yes, the things you aren't aware of when you first move to the "country" (no power = no water). Be sure to change your stored water occasionally (especially if it is well water that you are storing) - it tends to get a little stale.

Your pantry looks lovely! And neat and tidy - unlike the Bag Lady's. She has gotten in the terrible habit of just opening the door and tossing stuff in. Sigh.

the Bag Lady said...

Oh - another little tip: find food-safe storage containers for all your dry goods (flour, sugar, rice, cornmeal, beans, etc.), especially if you are going to keep them on the floor of the pantry.
Another joy of "country" living is the fact that rodents enjoy living there too - especially if they can move into your house, and they are ecstatic when they find your pantry. (I know this from experience!)