Thursday, July 10, 2008

What to do with that Extra Rhubarb...

make barbecue sauce! This is my first Back 2Basics Harvest Keeper challenge project.

My mother-in-law gave us a lot of rhubarb (far more than I can use) and so it didn't go to waste I found the recipe below.

Victorian Barbecue Sauce

8 cups chopped rhubarb
3 1/2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups chopped raisins
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp salt

  • Prepare canner, jars and lids
  • In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine all ingedients. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until mixture is thickened to a consistency of a thin commercial barbecue sauce, about 30 minutes. (I used my hand blender/chopper to make a smoother consistency - otherwise the rhubarb would have remained quite chunky)
  • Ladle hot sauce inot hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if necessary by adding hot sauce. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band downuntil resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight.
  • Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely convered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 15 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.

Recipe from the Bernardin 'Complete Book of Home Preserving'


My four jars of barbecue sauce (to be stored in the pantry)

1 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

This sounds yummy! I'll have to clip and save it for next year - perhaps my measly little rhubarb plant will produce more than 3 stalks by then.