Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Field Trip

This afternoon I travelled out to a farm close to my area of town to visit a lady whom I met via the Alberta Chickens Etc forum.  It was a great visit!  I got to see her various breeds of chicken, a variety of ducklings and chicks. goats, geese, llama, dogs, cats and exotic birds.  So much fun!

I learned a lot and got to ask questions of someone well acquianted with chicken breeds and hierarchy.  She suggested we nurse Cockzilla back to health (he was looking much better today by-the-way) let him completely grow his feathers back, then remove Lucky and reintroduce Cockzilla to the hens.  If all goes well then to cull Lucky out of the flock.  Her reasoning is that you don't want to get rid of a rooster with a good temperament and keep one that is a brute.  I feel much better now as both Husband and I really like Cockzilla and didn't want to have to kill him.

I also got my fill of goats (or almost).  Two of her goats are so friendly they just kept coming to me for head rubs and eventually just leaned their bodies against me.  The smell of their pens brought me back to my childhood spending time at the neighbour's goat pens.

Unfortunately her goose eggs did not hatch yet, so I had to come home empty handed.  I did see the large African Geese and was slightly startled as to how noisy they are.

The time went too fast.... three hours later I had to get home, though I could have stayed longer for more wonderful conversation with her and her husband.  It was so nice to actually speak to people who have such similar interests and opinions as I.  They also told me about a small group of hobby farmers that get together every so often and the next time they have a meeting they will invite me along.

0 comments: