Sunday, November 22, 2009


Yesterday's butching of the roosters went well. We kept one rooster named Cockzilla and he was the largest of the roosters that we had.

Husband did the actual killing, myself and daughter did the plucking, and I did the eviscerating and cleaning, and son did the running around.

I was very surpised at how easily the feathers came out once dunked in hot water. The only thing I didn't like was how feathers stuck to everything, including my hands.

Roosters and hens in the 'happier' times this fall.

Bagged Americauna waiting to go into the freezer. They weighed between 2 1/2 to 4 pounds each.

This morning I went to the hen house and found a rooster we missed! He must have been hiding amongst the hens yesterday as he is one of the smallest roosters. He has been named "Lucky"!